Klejnot Pomorza

Atrakcje w Stargardzie

Szlaki PTTK

Inne szlaki miejskie

Atrakcje w powiecie

Trasy rowerowe

Trasy kajakowe

Aktywność

turystyka


Stargard coat of arms


 Settlement in the town area reaches back more than 1000 years and Stargard has always been one of the most important centres in Pomerania.
A considerable defence settlement, later called Osetno, was established as early as in the 8th century (currently the area of Dębowa Alley). In the 9th century a stronghold and a settlement surrounding it were established on an island in between the forks of the river Ina. It was also at that time that a river harbour started to operate. The stronghold, in the language of the Pomeranians called Stari Gard, performed the function of the opole, and between the 12th and the 13th century it was the capital of a vast Stargard castellany. There was also a market settlement independent of the stronghold located on the route running from Szczecin to Kołobrzeg and Białogard. Excellent conditions for defence, fertile soil and location at the crossroads of important trade routes favoured the rapid development of Stargard. Since the beginning of the 13th century there was a mint and following ducal endowments two monastic orders were brought here.
Two town charters, Magdeburg Law of 1243 (1253) and Lübeck Law of 1292, ensured local government, ownership of land and considerable trade privileges. After 1295, the considerably extended territory of the town was encircled with walls. Earlier a market square and a network of streets were laid out. Stargard, which built its wealth on sea trade, crafts, duty and vast ownership of land (over 1000 łans and 15 villages) became a member of the Hanseatic League in the 14th century. In the 15th century the town was a major merchant centre, had higher courts of justice and was one of the largest towns on the Baltic coast. Buildings which date back to that time are impressive even today. The period of prosperity ended in the 17th century when the Thirty Years' War broke out bringing about such disasters as the great fire in 1635 and plagues. Between 1668 and 1723 (with short breaks) Stargard, the biggest town in Farther Pomerania, became its capital. Rebuilding commenced. It was here that sessions of national parliament were held; here there were also three printing houses, a court of justice (until 1739) and a university. Courier post opened in the 18th century, the first manufactories were established, the second garrison in Pomerania expanded, the first theatre was built and a newspaper printed. The economy was supported by two communities, the biggest in Pomerania: the French and the Jewish. Rapid economic growth (since the mid-19th century) came about by the construction of the railway.It was then that Stargard became an important transport and and industrial centre. Numerous newspapers were published and since the beginning of the 20th century there was also an academic publisher. Urban development went far beyond the city walls. Impressive buildings, community facilities and residential areas were built.
In 1901 Stargard, which had twenty-seven thousand inhabitants, became a county town. Before the outbreak of World War II, the town had forty thousand inhabitants.
In 1945 over a half of the town buildings had become ruins; the Old Town was almost completely demolished. Restoring Stargard to life was the result of effort by Polish settlers. The number of inhabitants in 1939 was equalled in the 1960s. In the post-war period, until the beginning of the 21st century, ten residential districts were established, a new development of the town centre as well as the suburbs. In 2007 there were about seventy thousand inhabitants in Stargard, a centre of culture and education. After the period of downturn in economy in the 1990s new branches of industry appeared. Raised from ruins, historical buildings in Stargard attract tourists.
The builders managed to enchant the power of Stargard in the soaring Gothic structures whose class will satisfy even the most discerning tastes.